Finally, I got my hands on the new Altenew stamps. One of my favorite shops, Make The Day Special in the UK, stocks them now and I grabbed the Persian Motifs, planning to color them with watercolor, Copics, and Prismacolor pencils.
Well, let me tell ya: it’s not easy. Or I’m not good enough, which is more likely, but boy I struggled with this card and I’m still not happy about it. Yet I thought I’d share some of my experiences and maybe that helps you or you have some suggestions?
My first mistake was stamping the outlines of the Persian Motifs in a very light ink (Distress Antique Linen). I wanted to go for this beautiful “no line” technique that Kristina Werner and Dawn from Wplus9 excel at. Well, I overestimates my abilities. With only the faint lines, and my inability to yet create good shadows etc. with watercolor this turned into an undefined mess.
I actually threw the piece off to the side and tried with Copics, but that was even worse (who’d have thought?). That was kind of my second mistake: I didn’t give the first watercolor layer time to dry. And, as Dawn and Jennifer and Laura and all the other great ladies of crafting keep telling us: it looks hideous when wet, but once it’s dried, watercolor is amazing. So, when I threw out my Copic piece and took another look at the water color, I was like “Hmm, maybe give it some more attention”.
Even though I improved it a bit by adding color, it still looked awful. I then abandoned my super professional Winsor & Newton water colors and grabbed my good ol’ Distress Markers and manually added some shadows along the edges, which made the card look bearable. But still, the third mistake was adding too much color and not working in light washes. You’d think I’ve heard that often enough now.
In the end, to salvage the card, I applied another wash of water mixed with Perfect Pearls to add some shimmer and then dropped a few drops of gold spray on the card for effect. The sentiment is from a beautiful Mama Elephant set called “Make a Wish” which is just adorable for birthdays.
What made me decide to share the card after all was also this short exchange with Jennifer McGuire over at Instagram (yes, I know! Isn’t it awesome that someone like Jennifer McGuire takes the time to answer comments? I’m still giddy).
|Click the image for higher resolution|
So, what am I taking away from this? Try again. And again. And again. Do not give up, do not get frustrated. Simply stamp it out differently and try again. And do something else in between to keep the frustration at bay 😉 And I’m looking forward to see Jennifer’s coloring!
I’m still entering this card into a few challenges (yes, I’m stubborn). So, here I come, Addicted To Stamps and More #107 “Make Your Mark”; Simon Says Wednesday Challenge “Make it Sparkle”; and the Mama Elephant August Challenge “Watercolor + Birthdays”.
Thanks for stopping by!
Update August 15: I’m humbled. I won. Again. The Addicted to Stamps and More Challenge. Considering the incredible skill of the other crafters, I’m speechless. And super happy! YAY! Thank you!