Sometimes, preparation pays off. I don’t know about you, but I really don’t like to experiment much before starting a card for which I have a very clear idea. It just seems like wasting time. This time, I invested some extra time and boy, did it come in handy.
I had never used the Coming Up Roses stamps by Wplus9 or the Build A Banner die and stamp set by Avery Elle. The latter was only a challenge in terms of aligning the stamps correctly, but a practice run made my banners come out perfectly. With the Coming Up Roses, I actually tried different color combinations to see which ones would work and which wouldn’t (you’d be surprised).
I love how this turned out. If I could pat myself on the back, I just might. I stamped the banner first on the base card, then masked it off (thank you, Avery Elle, for dies!) and stamped my explosion of flowers all around. The base of the roses was stamped in Hero Arts Pale Tomato, the details with HA Red Royal. For an overview on how the different colors compare, check out my post with ink swatches from almost the entire range of Hero Arts dye inks.
To fill in the space around the roses I used some more stamps from the same stamp set and light yellow colors, ranging from HA Soft Vanilla, Butterbar, to Just Rust. The tiny flowers are from another Wplus9 stamp set called More Fresh Cuts and the thin leafy green is from Simon Says Stamp Thinking of You.
I stamped the center of the tiny flowers with Versamark and then sprinkled some gold embossing powder on, for some pizazz (love that word!). I wasn’t looking for perfection, just for an accent.
And in case you are wondering why the roses look so awesome – I used a technique introduced by Dawn from Wplus9: I used my Copic Colorless Blender and dabbed it directly onto the Pale Tomato of the roses, carefully avoiding the Red Royal (darker accents). The blender moves the color and creates this awesome painted effect, without any skill required 😉
Warning: I used Bazzill Marshmallow Card Shoppe card stock. It’s sturdy and great for cards and die cuts, but as soon as anything Copic (or Spectrum Noir) touches it, it bleeds through. Even just the colorless blender. So I had to cut my original one layer card apart and mount the stamped piece onto another card base to salvage my work.
The Avery Elle banner set is simply awesome and comes out so beautifully. I also found it very easy to die cut first, then stamp. Since I didn’t want too much of a contrast with the flowers, I went with HA Soft Granite instead of black. The sentiment is puzzled together from two Winnie & Walter stamp sets (The Big, the Bold, and Happy and The Big, the Bold, and You) and was stamped in HA Charcoal. Kristina Werner introduced me to the technique of stamping the same thing underneath that is on your die cut and I think it looks great when you take a peek from the side.
The tiny hearts are from Mama Elephant’s Sunny Skies stamp set and stamped in HA Fresh Peach. I went over them with my clear Wink of Stella twice, then coated it generously with Glossy Accents. As a tip: for these tiny stamped images, drop a glob of glue onto the image, then use a fine tip (needle or the pointy end of your QuickStix) to spread the glue around. Makes it much easier to get the shape right. Oh, and in another spark of genius aI sprinkled some additional ZING gold embossing powder on, but very lightly. Gives an awesome warm sparkle in real life.
- Bazzill Marshmallow Card Shoppe card stock
- Wplus9 Coming Up Roses
- Wplus9 More Fresh Cuts
- Simon Says Stamp Thinking of You
- Avery Elle Build a Banner (stamps and dies)
- Winnie & Walter The Big, The Bold, and Happy
- Winnie & Walter The Big, The Bold, and You
- Mama Elephant Sunny Skies
- Mama Elephant Femme Frames
- Various HA Shadow Inks (see post for details)
- Copic Colorless Blender
- Wink of Stella Clear
- ZING Gold Embossing Powder