After abstaining from my Copics and Spectrum Noirs for a while (I simply didn’t feel like I could get good results from them), I finally decided to give them a go again and practiced coloring with my new(ish) Altenew stamps. They are just screaming for being used with any type of coloring technique. Oh, and since I messed up the colors for the Colour Me…! challenge on my last card, I thought I’d just give that challenge another go 🙂
The sentiment was stamped with Winnie & Walter stamps (looooove them) and Cup o’ Joe hero arts shadow ink.
I wanted to create a one layer card, yet still color with my copics. As many of you will know from experience, Neenah, Copic Express, and even Bazzill Card Shoppe will bleed through quickly, even if you color with a light hand. As soon as you start shading, it will bleed through for sure. The great Kristina Werner kept mentioning SSS white card stock as the ultimate weapon against bleeding and truly – it didn’t!
Here’s how I created that card:
- I stamped the flowers and leaves onto masking paper and fuzzy cut them, making sure to not leave a white border.
- I stamped each element onto the SSS white card base, masking them off one by one as I proceeded. You need to stamp the image that goes up front first and then proceed to the “back”.
- You can see that I added the leaves last, to make it look like they were behind all the flowers.
- Each element was 2nd generation stamping, that means I stamped off on a scrap piece of paper, then onto the card. I didn’t want the stamped image to be very intense.
- I colored the flowers and leaves with Copics and Spectrum Noir Markers. You have to use Memento ink or some ink that does not bleed when used with alcohol markers.
Lastly, I went over some areas with my Wink of Stella glitter markers to add some shine to the card. Not my best Copic coloring, but I’m re-discovering the fun of the technique and I hope that in time, with more blend-able colors, it will also look better and do the wonderful stamps justice.
I’ll be entering this card into the following challenges: Simon Says Anything Goes; Addicted To Stamps and More #97 “Make Your Mark“; Crazy 4 Challenges #234 “April Showers bring May Flowers“; and Colour Me…! #22 “Color Me Playful“.
- Simon Says Stamp heavy white card stock
- Spectrum Noir
- Altenew Hennah Elements
- Winnie & Walter The Big The Bold and The Happy
- Wink of Stella glitter markers
- Memento Dew Drop inks
- Hero Arts Cup o’ Joe shadow ink