In the card making world, inspiration seems just as far away as Jennifer McGuire’s blog. She recently showed yet another making-of for an acetate card and I thought it was about time I gave this a go as well.
- I used regular overhead projector transparencies for my card base. They are sturdy enough and you can easily cut them down to the standard card sizes.
- When scoring these transparencies, do not apply a lot of pressure with the bone folder! I ripped my first card base that way. Just do it lightly, once or twice, and then carefully fold to avoid breaking the transparency.
- Thank to static, the transparency will attract all tiny paper scraps, embossing powder, glitter … you name it. Make sure your crafting surface is clean when laying down your transparency. Or use a piece of scratch paper underneath, just to be safe. You can brush everything off again, but it’s just unnecessary effort.
- To my delight, regular tape runner adhesive proved to be strong enough to hold the paper pieces to the acetate, so you don’t have to go and buy extra stuff if you already have a good tape runner.
I combined two challenges to get the colors and layout for this card. Along the way, I spontaneously added a few elements here and there. These are the ones which I like most:
- The Simon Says Stamp Fog ink is just perfect on the yellow card stock to create the woodgrain look. The ink itself is a super light grey which fades into the color here and makes it look as if I had used a darker yellow for the stamped image.
- With some creative die cutting, double sided adhesive tape, and Elizabeth Craft warm white glitter I created the shimmery outline of the center piece. I colored it with my Copics (dab your marker, don’t use strokes) to get the nice green color.
- The sentiment was stamped with Versafine Onyx black ink and it stays wet long enough to our some embossing powder over it. Here, I used the Judikins Irididescent Sparkle powder, which makes the black ink shine, shine shine.
The rest was simply puzzling everything together. With acetate cards, the most important aspects are cutting everything in doubles so you can adhere the same shapes to the other side of the card so you won’t see the adhesive, and to work really, really precisely. Since this was my first card, I had a tiny boo-boo (I hope my friend who gets the card won’t mind) because I hadn’t glued down one piece accurately and then the glue was showing a bit on the backside. I’ll do better next time 🙂
I’ll be entering this card into the Just Add Ink #218 Challenge (I picked the colors Primrose Petals, Summer Starfruit, Gumball Green) and CAS(e) this Sketch #80.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Overhead projector transparencies
- Colored and white cardstock (scraps)
- Simon Says Stamp Fog Ink
- Lawn Fawn Scalloped Circle dies
- Double sided adhesive sheets
- Elizabeth Craft Warm White micro fine glitter
- Copic Marker for coloring the glitter
- Simon Says Stamp Birthday Balloons stamp set
- Versafine Onyx Black pigment ink
- Judikins Iridescent Sparkle embossing powder
- Hero Arts Shadow Inks
- Clearly Besotted Stamps Happy Everything dies (butterflies)